Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Memorial Day 2017

Yesterday Jayze had work off for Memorial Day (woo-hoo!). It was relaxing and easy-going, which was just what we needed.

We woke up to clear and sunny skies. Jayze went running with one of his friends while I dumped a load of laundry in the washer and made the kids breakfast. Mondays are normally my laundry days, so I wanted to get as much done as possible before we headed to a barbecue at our friend's house later that afternoon.

When Jayze got back, he made me and him breakfast. Then Jayze and Aidan cleaned our kitchen while I worked on other things, and Kimball napped. Aidan went down for a nap a little while later.

We waited until the very last possible minute to wake up our kids and head to the bbq. Except, we were about an hour late because we went to the store for chips and then had to circle back home because we had forgotten Aidan and Kimball's shoes (which they hardly used anyway, haha). We arrived just in time for the blessing on the food. Whew.

The kids played and played and played while the adults talked. I put Aidan in his swim shorts, but he loved "riding" one of the kid's bikes and playing with other things instead. He did learn how to shoot a water gun, which he enjoyed spraying others with it but didn't like getting sprayed back. Kimball, on the other hand, (who I didn't put in swim shorts) loved the water. He spent a good half hour or more leaning over the kiddie pool and splashing his hand in it.

After a few hours when Kimball was finally exhausted, we headed back to our apartment and turned on a movie. Jayze made dinner and then we did our bedtime routine. Scriptures, prayer, brush teeth, kids in pajamas, sing, the kids' personal prayers, and then "tuck in tight."

It was a beautiful day. I couldn't help thinking of those who gave their lives for our country. I'm so incredibly grateful for them. I also thought of Alma and how I wished we could visit his grave. Lately I've felt like I'm always forgetting something whenever we go somewhere, and I think that feeling comes from missing him. I'm grateful other family members were able to visit him and help remember him with us.

As we sang "Families Can Be Together Forever" with Aidan and Kimball at bedtime, I felt those words ring true to my heart. Because of Jesus Christ families can be together forever. I know that with all of my heart.


One of the only pictures I took yesterday.
It was kind of nice to take a break from my phone. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment