Friday, May 12, 2017

Engagement Anniversary

Yesterday was mine and Jayze's engagement anniversary. Five years ago Jayze got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. There was a soft breeze in the spring air and the sun was just about to set. I sat looking down at him from the porch swing and blurted out, "Really?!"

Then I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him onto the swing with me and kissed my now-fiance (after saying a real "Yes" that time). He slipped the diamond ring on my finger - one that he picked out himself - and then we walked hand in hand up the hill to the temple. 

May 11, 2012 - Rexburg, ID Temple
(check out that dimple...:))

We snuggled, took pictures, and sat happy and content on the pearl-white bench. We watched the sun go down and then walked back down the hill to a small pond within the campus garden. 

Jayze had brought pennies and we each took turns telling each other what we wished for our future. 

When the stars finally peeked out in the black sky, we headed back towards Jayze's apartment and eventually watched a movie with his roommates. As we walked, we called our parents and texted our siblings to tell them the good news. 

I'm grateful for the past five years. I was going through my journal the other day, and I can still remember the excitement I felt to be getting married to my wonderful, handsome, loving Jayze. 

It hasn't been easy, not even close, but it's definitely been worth it.

I can honestly say I love him even more now. 

"In God's plan of happiness, we are not so much looking for someone perfect but for a person with whom, throughout a lifetime, we can join efforts to create a loving, lasting, and more perfect relationship. That is the goal.

Those who save their marriages understand that this pursuit takes time, patience, and, above all, the blessings of the Atonement of Jesus Christ...

...Great marriages are built brick by brick, day after day, over a lifetime...if you keep adding pebbles of kindness, compassion, listening, sacrifice, understanding, and selflessness, eventually a mighty pyramid will begin to grow."

"In Praise of Those Who Save," President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

So Jayze, let's keep building our pyramid. 

I love you. 

At Beauty and the Beast, 2017


1 comment:

  1. A couple of thoughts:

    What a romantic engagement story! I love the detail of the pennies and the wishes for the future--so sweet!

    Second, you and Jayze are amazing together. I'm glad he asked you, and I'm glad you said yes. That talk by President Uchtdorf is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete