Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Love All Around


We're all sick around here (not Jayze, though - yay!). Yet, even with the sickness, I can't help but think of how much I love my family. This sickness has forced me to slow down and forgo my to-do lists - and I'm all about lists - for a couple of days and really live each moment with intention and purpose.

Purpose in giving my little ones Tylenol to help bring their fevers down. Purpose in giving two, aching boys a much-needed and fun bath. Purpose in wiping snot-covered noses again and again. Purpose in watching Aidan hop around and play with his cars even though I can tell he's not feeling very well. Purpose in bouncing and rocking a fussy baby, praying for him to fall asleep because I know it will help him feel better. Purpose in changing diapers, in soothing painful cries, and in digging deep for patience. Purpose and intention in all of these moments that make love more apparent in the seemingly tedious moments of parenting.

Love was apparent when last night, I fell asleep exhausted, still in my jeans, and Jayze got up this morning to feed Kimball so I could keep sleeping even though he's driving six hours today. It was there when while Kimball finally fell asleep for his morning nap, and Aidan and I snuggled on the couch, held hands, and watched a movie together. I recognized it in the way Kimball hasn't wanted me to put him down more than a few minutes because he is so miserable and wants a comforting touch.

Love was all around me yesterday when the sickness really took its toll, and it's continued into today. Which is fitting, since today is Valentine's Day.

I am grateful for my little family. I am grateful for the abundance of love in each of my boys' tiny in size, but huge in sweet tenderness, hearts. I am grateful for moments like today when, even though sickness abounds and we're all kind of miserable (especially Kimball), there is still so much love in our small apartment.

But mostly, I'm grateful for the love of an all-knowing, all-caring, all-loving Heavenly Father. I am grateful for the love of His Son, Jesus Christ, who loved me so much that He suffered and died for me. They have never let me down. They have never left me alone. They have never left me comfortless. They have never given up on me. I hope that I can become more like them and respond to my children and brothers and sisters like They would. I know I can't respond in the perfect way They do because I'm definitely not perfect, but I'm grateful I can try and They can help me try and succeed. I hope that I can remember to respond to their love in a way that I recognize it even in hard moments and in a way that I'm grateful for it even when I don't necessarily feel it.

So even though my expectations of doing Valentine's Day crafts with Aidan and Kimball, making a delicious dinner, and getting out of the house and doing something fun because I actually have the car today are pretty much down the drain, I'm okay with it because this is where I'm supposed to be and it's where joy and love can still be found.

"We are surrounded by people who desperately need someone to lift them. Some may be friends. Some may be strangers. All are our brothers and sisters. 

So let's try a little harder. Let's reach out a little farther. Let's lift a little higher. They are depending on us. God is depending on us, for 'we are the Lord's hands here upon the earth, with the mandate to serve and to lift His children.'

Our individual efforts may seem-a kind act here, a selfless sacrfice there-but collectively our small efforts can make a big difference in the lives of others. And in the end, those who spend their lives lifting others will themselves be 'lifted up at the last day."






No comments:

Post a Comment