Monday, July 3, 2017

Fireflies

Last Sunday (June 25), we received a tender mercy - we saw fireflies!

Jayze had seen a few when he went running the other night and wondered if we would be able to see any by our apartment. He took the kids out on the grass just before their bedtime to see if they could glimpse any, but no luck. I think it was still too light outside. Since it was getting late, we put the kids to bed and then, with our elbows up on the back of the couch, we peered out the window searching for any sign of even one firefly.

Jayze told me he said a prayer asking to see them, but if not, that would be okay too. I decided to pray in my heart as well. We were talking on the couch when Jayze smiled and nodded toward the window, looking out over the darkening yard. I quietly squealed and said, "Really? Where?!" and jumped up on my knees and began searching out the window again.

I looked intently toward one of the big trees near the wooden fence, and there! A flicker of light! A firefly! As the sun kept going down and as I kept looking out the window, I saw more tiny bursts of light. They flashed for just a moment before disappearing. 

Even though the kids were already in bed, we could tell Aidan was still just barely awake, so Jayze went and got him. He led a tired Aidan out of the bedroom toward the window and told him to look for fireflies. Aidan rubbed his eyes, looked out the window, and after a few moments saw one. Then another one. And another one!

It was magical. I'm so grateful Heavenly Father answered our prayers, and I'm glad Aidan got to see them too. Mine and Aidan's first sighting of the season! And since I love fireflies so much, I know it won't be the last. We'll make it happen again and again.    

(parts taken from my journal 6/28/17)



No comments:

Post a Comment