Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Checking In

As much as I'd love to say that everything went perfectly with my goals last week, that's just not the case. However, I did make a lot of improvement, and I'll just hang on tightly to that.

Get up at six: In my last post, I wrote a few goals I wanted to work on for a week. I'm happy to say that I got up at six o'clock most days. On the days I couldn't exercise right at six because I was feeding Kimball or because Aidan woke up earlier than usual, I still tried to get my scripture study in or the dishes done while Jayze exercised. Like I said, it wasn't perfect, but I feel good about the progress.

Pray: Praying and relying on God more really made all the difference in my daily schedule. Although, I think Satan took it as a personal challenge to deter me in any way possible, which was hard. But God provided miracles, tender mercies, strength, and peace, and for that I'm grateful.

Journal: One night I turned to Jayze and showed him the dates on my journal. I told him, "I love it when it's like this," and proceeded to show him that even though I missed a couple of days, I had written almost every night. There's something special about preserving your own life. It helps me to go back and read and see that yes, I did learn and grow when I thought I hadn't.

Outside: On Sunday, Jayze had a church meeting in the evening, so it was just me and the kids. Aidan was dying to go outside, and to be honest, I was too. There's something so magical and serene about the evening air. The sun was just about to go down, but still warm on my face. It smelled like fall. The grass was turning poky, but still soft beneath our bare feet. Aidan could hardly contain his happiness as I chased him around the grass outside; Kimball giggling as he bounced on my hip. At one point, Aidan took my hand and steered me across the parking lot to where more grass and trees were. It was a joyful moment, and I'm glad we took advantage of the beautiful evening.

Less time on phone: This was a struggle for me, especially on the days Aidan didn't take a nap and I really needed a break to retain my sanity. I'd set up a little video for Aidan and then check my email, catch up on text messages, and check in with Facebook and Instagram. I feel like those things are fine, but not at my child's expense. I'm planning to come up with other activities this week to help both Aidan and me with the daily boredom that comes from not having a car every day. Any fun, indoor or outdoor activity ideas are welcome!

Smile more: As I made a conscious effort to not take things too seriously, my mom-load lightened. When Aidan wouldn't listen or get into things he knew he wasn't supposed to, I'd take a deep breath and try to find the humor in it all, or at least be as patient as I could (again, not perfect). The other day I came back from the bathroom to find Aidan in Kimball's room, with his sunglasses on, sucking on Kimball's pacifier, and going through my jewelry box. I really wish I had had my camera, but that moment will forever be filed away because it was so funny.

Look for the good: There was so much good this week. There were also hard and stressful times, but really, it was mostly good. I think Satan is a big mean-o and when he gets me to look at the bad, that's all I see. But when I look at the good, it's really not as bad I think. Things worked out, some nights my belly was sore from laughing so hard, and the perfectionist in me shrugged off the non-essential things like leaving a couple of dishes in the sink or the clothes in the dryer until the next day.

All in all, this was such a good exercise for me. On hard days, I found myself led again to my posted goals and became motivated to accomplish them. I believe it is empowering to write down goals and dreams, and I plan to do it more in the future.

In other news, Kimball rolled over for the first time yesterday! I jumped for joy and whooped and cheered, and Aidan got in on all the excitement too. Way to go K-man.

Right after rolling over for the first time.


1 comment:

  1. What awesome goals!! I love that you're giving yourself credit for improvement rather than beating yourself up when it's not perfect (something I tend to do too often). I love this reminder!

    ReplyDelete