Monday, October 10, 2016

Celebrating Aidan

Aidan turned two years old on September 25. I don't think words can ever express how much love I have for him in my heart. He is my bright light, my little fire of hope, and I love him so.


He is obsessed with cars and trucks. He loves planes and making animal sounds. He also loves throwing and kicking balls. His vocabulary has taken off, and he says so many words now in addition to learning new words every day.

His imagination has taken off, too. I'll walk in on him playing and interacting with his stuffed animals or making his cars and trucks crash. At lunch time, bananas turn into planes, and at dinner time pasta turns into revving cars.

Aidan is the sweetest little boy. Lately he wants to pray at the most random times. The other day I walked into the living room to him kneeling down by the coffee table with his arms folded, a little mumble jumble escaping his lips, and a very pronounced, resounding "Amen!" at the end.

He has the cutest, cheesiest, funniest smile and the most adorable, contagious belly laugh. He loves it when Jayze and I wrestle with him on the floor, chase him around the apartment, and drive his trucks around with him. His dad and I essentially turn into jungle gyms whenever we lay on the floor or couch.

He also enjoys books so.much. If I tell him no to watching a movie and ask him if he wants to read a book instead, his face lights up, and he runs to his room yelling, "Booooooooook!" If I'm changing Kimball's diaper or busy with something else and can't read to him when he asks, he'll read the book by himself and is so good at it. My inner English nerd is pretty much overjoyed at how much Aidan loves books.

Ever since he was old enough to understand Jayze and me more (I don't remember his exact age - possibly a little over a year old), when we would put him to bed, he would just talk and talk in his little voice words only children his age, angels, or Heavenly Father understood. Sometimes he would laugh and laugh as if someone were making faces at him or playing peek-a-boo. Even now, at two years old, he'll giggle and laugh and talk as if someone was there playing with him. Every time it makes me wonder if it's Alma. Children are so close to heaven, and I'd like to think it is Alma in there with Aidan, establishing a brotherly bond even though they are apart. It makes me smile, and I can't wait to see if the same thing happens with Kimball.

On rainy days or while dinner is in the oven and we're waiting for Daddy to come home, Aidan and I will snuggle on the couch and watch Mormon Messages (we've probably watched the "truck one" aka "Bearing Our Burdens With Hope" about a million times) or little clips of Disney on YouTube. His favorite movie, though, is definitely Cars, with Planes being a close second.

He is the cutest little helper. If he sees me unloading the dishwasher, he's quick to pick up a dish and hand it to me while I put it away until the dishwasher is empty. When it's time to switch over the laundry from the washer to the dryer, he'll stand at the open dryer and I'll hand clothes to him one by one and he'll put them in. He loves to firmly shut the dryer door when I say, "All done!"

He is the most meticulous toddler I've seen. He's been that way since he was a baby. I know I need to vacuum when he comes up to me with a crumb or piece of lint squished between two fingers and asks, "Trash?" and when I say yes, happily puts it in the trash. Little things like that in other areas as well don't escape him, and I think it's safe to say that if he had a resume, "attention to detail" would be on it.

There are so many more things I could say about my little man. The way he gives me a hug (and he is not a natural hugger or cuddler) when he sees me cry. Running his daily run from the kitchen to his room and back again. The way he imitates whatever Jayze and I are doing. His hunger for learning. How bittersweet him growing up is for me. His calm, reserved nature and (mostly) quiet happiness.

Happy Birthday, Aidan buddy. I'm so grateful for the light and hope you helped bring back into my life. I love you forever my sweet boy.















No comments:

Post a Comment