Sunday, May 3, 2015

BYU-Idaho Graduation

On Friday, April 10, 2015, I graduated from Brigham Young University-Idaho in English, Professional Writing with my minor in Home and Family Living. I am now officially an alumnus of BYU-I. It is such a bittersweet feeling because I have now lost my student status. I love school so much, and it has already been a little weird not having classes to go to or homework to do. BUT, it has already been awesome experiencing being a stay-at-home mom.



This past semester was the hardest yet. I took 12 credits, Jayze took 6 credits and worked part-time, and we both juggled watching Aidan. I still don't know when we did homework or how it all worked out. Before this semester I had never prayed so hard in my life to understand the material, be able to find time to do homework as well as household duties, and still be a good mom and wife. Aidan practically lived in the car seat for four months and Jayze made more dinners, changed more diapers, and got up more times with Aidan than I can count. One of my classes was supposed to be one of my easier classes, but actually ended up having double the workload thanks to it being an experiment class (why did I always seem to end up in those?) And another one of my classes was stress overload because of all the time and effort put into it. I look back and am amazed at everything Jayze and I were able to accomplish, and I wholeheartedly attribute Heavenly Father as to how everything was made possible.

All that said, the stress was totally worth it. Instead of focusing so much on grades like I normally did in past semesters, I made it a goal to focus on learning and turning in every assignment. Because of that, I was stretched to the limit (and probably even more) in all of my classes and still got good grades. I went out with a bang, and it felt oh.so.good. I can look back and have no regrets. Definitely a last hurrah to my student life.

By the end, it was like pulling teeth trying to be motivated to get every last homework assignment done. So I almost couldn't believe it when Friday came and that night I graduated.

Kudos to my awesome sis-in-law, Emily, for the pictures. Thank you!
 

As I walked into the BYU-Idaho Center for Commencement and walked down the aisle to my seat, all I felt was overwhelming sense of gratitude. As I sat down and listened to each speaker, I couldn't help the silent tears from falling. A wave of emotion swept over me because even just last semester I didn't know if I would ever earn my bachelor's degree. God is so good, and He knows me by name. He wanted me to succeed, I worked hard, and He made it all possible. Our little family could not have done it without Him. I will always be grateful to Him and look back on my college education with a deep knowledge that God is real, aware of my circumstances and goals, and is right there helping me along. Earning my bachelor's degree was more than just a "back up plan." It was a testimony builder, it provided knowledge I can use to teach my children, and it gave me knowledge for myself to progress and grow.

I was excited because all of my family on my side were able to come (immediate family). It was a jam-packed weekend. I graduated on Friday evening, and my sister got married the next day in the Rexburg Temple. My family hadn't been all together in one place for a few years, so it was awesome having everyone there. I really appreciated them coming to support me and my sister in two huge events in our lives.

Just missing the Andersen's. We saw them about ten minutes after this. We have all of us in another picture, but I don't have it. :)

My parents and me.

Jayze and Aidan were such troopers. Aidan didn't sleep the whole time, even though he was exhausted. Jayze played Mr. Mom again and took care of him through all of Friday evening and night. Although Aidan wasn't the happiest, I was glad he was awake to be in the pictures. We got a few smiles out of him, but he was pooped. I couldn't help, though, but look at my little family and feel even more love and gratitude. Last year when I was pregnant, I got off work at 5 p.m. the evening of graduation. As I walked out of the Kimball Building, I saw many almost graduates walking to Commencement. Among them were couples with one, two, three, and so on kids. That day I hoped with all my heart that one day that would be Jayze and me with our 6 month old at graduation. Well, that desire came true, and we had our 6-month-old Aidan there with us. Words really can't describe how blessed I felt.




A lot of people asked me if I had a job lined up after graduation. I almost felt pressured to say yes, but I was also excited to tell them that I am going to be a stay-at-home mom to my now 7 month old. Although I have missed working, and I already miss school, I'm excited to move on and stay home with Aidan. Maybe I'll find something I can do that allows me to work at home, but for now I'll just enjoy working on house projects, supporting Jayze in his school and work, and being a stay-at-home mom. Which, in my opinion, is the best job in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment