Thursday, November 2, 2017

Halloween 2017

We celebrated Halloween the Saturday before at our ward's chili cook-off. We brought a yummy fruit salad for the pot luck and a big bowl of Halloween candy to pass out during the carnival games. Dinner was first and then Jayze and I took the boys around the church to play the different games set up in separate rooms.


The games included ring toss, tin can knock down, fish pond, punch prize, basketball/soda can bowling, pumpkin bean bag toss, cake walk, and face painting.


First time ever getting his face painted

He chose a ghost


Aidan liked all of them except the cake walk, and Kimball was just happy to wander around. (Although I think his favorite was the tin can knock down - he enjoyed stacking them instead of knocking them down)



For the last couple months Aidan had been so excited to be "Superman!" for Halloween. Since we won't have many more opportunities to do a themed Halloween (who knows what our kids will want to dress up as later on), we decided to dress up as the Justice League. We asked Aidan for advice, and he said Dad should be Flash and Kimball should be Batman. Jayze and I thought it would be funny for me to be Wonder Woman with a green screen on my belly (did you hear that's what Gal Gadot had to do??).


On the drive to the party, Aidan kept saying he was, "Superman!" and sang parts of the Superman theme. He kept repeating our costumes too, "Aidan is Superman, Kimball is Batman, Mommy is Wonder Woman, and Dad is Flash!" with each exclamation punctuated by a fist in the air.


I made their capes out of felt (which was the easiest thing - no hemming!). It was hilarious and cute cute cute to see Kimball running around with a Batman symbol on the back of his cape. If I were to do one thing differently, I would have put a decal on the back of Aidan's cape, too.


I loved dressing up as a family. We dressed up as zoo animals last year, but it was more last minute. This year, since we actually planned our costumes ahead of time, we anticipated it more, put more effort into it, and had more fun.

And I think Halloween will keep getting more fun as the kids get older. Aidan understood it better, and I loved seeing how excited he was. Now I can't wait to see Kimball's (and the baby's!) take on it next year.




No comments:

Post a Comment