Monday, January 15, 2018

December Highlights Part 2

Just a few highlights from the second part of December. 

Park Day:
It was good to get outside on a semi-warm day. Kimball loves playing in the sand, doesn't like the swing so much, and enjoys sliding down the slides. Aidan loves running around, the swings, and trying out the balance obstacles. I love 'm boys. Some days I just can't get enough of 'em. 





My Birthday:
My birthday fell on a Saturday this year (yippee!). We made it a family event. We watched the new Pixar movie, Coco (sooo good and we didn't even have to go out with Kimball once! Although, I did have to chase him down the aisle one time), went to Denny's for a free Grand Slam, and then topped it off with a quick store run (which was probably not the smartest because the kids were exhausted and grumpy by that point. No naps will do that). Since we got home so late, we saved the brownies and ice cream for the next day. 
It was one of my best birthdays yet. Normally I like getting a babysitter and spending the evening with just Jayze and me, but this year was so fun celebrating all day long with my boys. 





Gingerbread House:
We built a gingerbread house this year! We kind of cheated and bought an already-made mix. When we opened up the kit, the whole roof was broken. So, we made a gingerbread fort instead, which turned out way cuter than I thought it would. Aidan especially liked helping us decorate it, and Kimball liked eating the candy. 






Haircut:
It had been weeks since I had given Kimball a haircut. So when it came time to do it, I sort of panicked. I wasn't feeling well and Kimball started screaming the moment I turned on the razor. I went to start cutting the bottom of his hair, took one swipe, and stopped, shocked. It had gone all the way up against his head! I was so confused until I finally saw what had happened - I had forgotten to put a guide on the dang thing. He went like that the rest of the day (haha!) and then Jayze helped me do a military cut the next day. It made us all laugh. 



Whoops!


Aidan wanted his picture taken, too. 

Shepherd Story Tradition:
Our bishop in Idaho introduced our ward to one of their family traditions that Jayze and I ended up adopting for our own family. We read the story of a crippled shepherd boy watching his flock on Christmas while we eat jerky, cheese, bread, olives, and dates. In the story, the shepherd encounters a stranger that turns out to be Jesus. It's a sweet, tender story that helps bring the Christmas spirit into our home. The story is a little long for the kids' attention span right now, but the food helps keep them in the same room at least. It's a tradition I hope they'll enjoy more as they keep getting older. 




Christmas Eve:
I loved having Christmas Eve on a Sunday. Jayze and I participated in the musical program during church, and all the singing brought such a sweet spirit to the rest of our day. It really felt like our day was centered on Jesus.
That evening, we did our eggnog tradition. It's a tradition Jayze's family does that we do in our home now. We each have a candle (birthday candles this year since I forgot to pick up tea lights) and then take turns lighting one candle at a time. It symbolizes Christ's light and how we can share our light with others. Then we drink eggnog afterwards. I'm not an eggnog fan, but Jayze totally is (and turns out the kids are too), so it's worth it. :)
Then we set out cookies and milk for Santa by the stockings and tucked the kids in nice and tight with the promise of a beautiful Christmas day when they woke up. 
When Jayze and I went to bed, the Christmas lights were shining bright and we left them that way all night long. 












No comments:

Post a Comment