Friday, September 29, 2017

Jayze's Birthday

Jayze is now a whopping 27 years old! I kept asking him how he felt to be 27, and he kept responding, "Weird." Haha.

I was so excited for his birthday because:

1. It was on a Friday (9/1) - always a good thing to have a birthday on the weekend
2. I got a babysitter (who actually came to our apartment and put the kids down for bed!)
3. I planned it all out beforehand, the date part was a secret, and I had the excuse to use Groupon for the first time ever, too.

Okay, maybe that's more than three, but whatevs. :)

I was giddy by the time Jayze got off work. We fed the kids the crockpot dinner I had made earlier (since they were starving before the babysitter got there) and cleaned up our apartment to kill time. Finally 5:45 p.m. came, and we were off!

This is it in a nutshell - dinner, date, dessert.

I guess I like to keep things simple.

For dinner, we went out to eat at Logan's Roadhouse. It was another round of good, peanut-eating, throw-the-shell-on-the-floor-while-waiting-for-our-food fun. And their buttery rolls are pretty delicious, too.

The funny thing is that Jayze ordered this lean, baked chicken with a vegetable side (similar to what I ordered the last time we went), and I ordered a half-rack of ribs with mashed potatoes and fries. A different waiter (I'm assuming, helping our waiter) brought out our food and automatically began handing me the chicken. She looked so confused when I told her, "Actually, I ordered the ribs."

HAHA.

For the date, we went...mini golfing! The one in Rexburg is so-so, so I wasn't sure what to expect here, but it was so.fun. It was glow golf and we went to about six or seven different rooms and each had three or four obstacles in it, plus a glow-in-the-dark picture of an alien or spaceship peering down at us. We kept score the first round (he won, Happy Birthday, hon!), did one more round, and then did the quick Lazer Maze Challenge.

You know the movies where the robbers have the maneuver themselves around the lazer beams to get to the jewelry cases? It was like that, but we did the easy version and no cops were involved.


After our stunt with the maze challenge, we drove over to Krispy Kreme's and chowed down a couple of their delectable pastries (Jayze LOVES donuts).


The next day we celebrated with the kids by eating Taco Bell and playing at a park. We drove home for homemade cake and ice cream, and Aidan surprised both Jayze and me by knowing the words to, "Happy Birthday." He's growing up so fast.




Short version: I ran out of powdered sugar for the frosting. Since I didn't have any way to get to the store, I tried making my own powdered sugar. Turns out I should have ground it up longer in the food processor because that frosting was so, so, SO grainy. I'm glad the cake underneath it turned out...and Jayze's homemade ice cream made up for it, too. :)


It was a good weekend for all of us. I'm especially glad I got to plan out a fun, relaxing date with Jayze and that he enjoyed it, too.

I'm definitely grateful for that cute birthday boy.



No comments:

Post a Comment