Thursday, February 18, 2016

On Laundry

Over the Christmas break, I was talking to my sister-in-law about household duties and habits. During the course of the conversation, we got on the subject of laundry, and she mentioned she only did laundry once a week. And she has two kids.

That blew my mind because after Aidan was born, he was wetting and blowing out through his clothes so often that I began doing laundry multiple times throughout the week, and it became a habit.

A habit of never-ending laundry. 

There was always a clean load in the dryer needing to be folded and put away, clothes scattered in both bathrooms, clothes on our bedroom floor (whether clean or not), and dirty clothes in the hampers by our bed. I didn't mind it too much because even though there was a never-ending supply of dirty clothes everywhere, there was also a never-ending supply of clean clothes, towels, cloths, bibs, and blankets ready to be used at a moment's notice. The constant clutter was frustrating, but I thought it was how it was going to be for the rest of our lives because that's just what happens when you have kids, right?

So I shrugged off the idea of doing laundry only once a week. After all, homemaking advice isn't created equal, and I thought I had MY system down.

Buuuuuuuut....I couldn't get the idea out of my mind. I also couldn't get out of my mind that I wasn't in love with the mess, and I kept getting little nudges that MY system needed to change. A humility check, if you will.

When Christmas break was over the motivation that comes with every new year to establish to new habits came, I decided to try the new system. Why not, I thought. See if it works out better, and I actually end up being less stressed with the daily, demanding grind of never-ending laundry.

I let Jayze in on my new goal. I told him, "I decided I'm only going to do laundry once a week, unless something extreme comes up. Don't feel too stressed if you need something washed not on 'laundry day,' but plan on this new normal."

He shrugged, said okay, and that was that.

Okay, I'm telling you right here and now, it's awesome. Doing laundry once a week really, truly is awesome. I do a few loads in one day, get everything folded and put away, and it's done for the rest of the week. No more scattered clothes, no more living out of the dryer, and no more never-ending process. My life is so much easier, and I have more time to do other things around the house.

Seeing how amazing changing a little habit in my household was caused me to think of Alma from The Book of Mormon. He really was right when he said:

"by small and simple things are great things brought to pass" (Alma 37:6).

Changing a small habit has made a huge difference. Being a good homemaker and looking for ways to improve is something I have been praying for, and I feel like the conversation with my sister-in-law was an answer to my prayer.

This homemaking advice might not be for everyone (or might be obvious to more people than not), but I know that when we ask "What Lack I Yet?" there really is specific advice the Lord is willing to give.

Plus, I think this cutest little helper ever is liking this whole laundry-once-a-week thing, too.


Small and simple working its course. 

I'm definitely not perfect at this new habit. My house is not always spit-spot clean. Sometimes there's still laundry strewn across the floor. BUT, it's better. And that's what I'm striving for - better.


No comments:

Post a Comment