Monday, January 19, 2015

Paranoid Parents

The other night I randomly woke up in the middle of the night. I turned over, grabbed the video baby monitor from my side of the bed, and checked on Aidan. His face was turned towards the camera, but I couldn't tell if he was breathing or not. I watched for a few minutes and decided to wake up Jayze.

"Jayze, I can't tell if Aidan's breathing," I shook his shoulder.

He turned over and I showed him the baby monitor. He tiredly watched for a couple of minutes and said, "I can't tell either," and rolled out of bed to go check on him in person.

I put the baby monitor back on my side of the bed and waited for Jayze to come back and tell me the verdict. He stumbled back into our dark bedroom and sleepily climbed back into bed. As he got back in bed, he let me know that Aidan was still breathing. Relieved, I pulled the covers up to my chin and fell back asleep.

What seemed like moments later I heard Aidan crying through the baby monitor. Still groggy, I whispered to Jayze, "Darn it. I wonder why he woke up."

After a moment Jayze sighed and sheepishly said, "I know why. When I went in to check on him, I still couldn't tell if he was breathing so I poked him. He moved a little in his sleep so that's how I knew he was still breathing."

I sat up a little and said, "You poked him? Couldn't you have put your hand above his mouth or on his stomach instead?"

"Yeah. Well, I was really tired, so I poked him, and he just stirred a little bit. He didn't wake up so I thought he was okay."

Jayze got up to comfort Aidan back to sleep.

Yes, Aidan, you have paranoid parents. Thanks for letting us poke you to see if you're still breathing.

No comments:

Post a Comment